Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hurricane Sandy and Reminiscing our OBX trip

We survived our 2nd Hurricane with almost little to no damage!  What a stressful few days though.  We had no idea what to expect.  We didn't worry so much about flooding since we have a sump pump and a watchdog (thanks to my in-laws).  Our biggest worry was our neighbors' trees falling on our house and losing power potentially for days.

We spent our days prior buying junk, fruits, and veggies, making a cake, cupcakes, and extra meals, filling pots, pitchers, and bathtubs full of water, making sure all flashlights had new batteries, and candles were in place.    We decided it would be safest in the basement if a tree fell so we set up our sleep quarters down there.  The wind was very scary at times but no huge damages...thank goodness.  Our roof leaked where our addition met our kitchen.  The ceiling was soggy before bed so I thought we would wake up with a mess but we didn't.  If you didn't know there was a leak you wouldn't notice it. 

The basement worked great for the most part.  We couldn't hear anything outside so I think it helped us all relax a little.  Bram did not sleep well.  He acted very scared to sleep down there.  He normally is extremely easy to put to bed.  He'll talk to himself for 20 to 30 minutes before falling asleep. He woke up 4 or 5 times sobbing and shaking.  It was definitely hard on this mommy to see her son so frightened. 

The storm couldn't have come at a more perfect time since Bram's birthday is this weekend.  You would have thought I got a ton of cleaning and organizing done but instead I spent most of my time pacing back and forth, watching movies, and editing photos.   Here are some of my favorite pictures I edited.  These are from our yearly Outer Banks trip....such a wonderful trip with great people. I was feeling super creative so I made these extra artsy.  Hope you enjoy!









Love these people :).

No comments:

Post a Comment